On 8th May 12, 2014 SWDC Gender Programme conducted Civic Education and Transitional Formation Forum for Parliamentarians, Politicians , members of civil societies at SAHAFI HOTEL located at km4 Mogadishu. The main objective of the Forum was to discuss ways to enhance women’s political participation and undertaking decision-making positions at National level.
The organized event was officially opened by the project coordinator Mr. Ibrahim Ahmed who welcomed everybody and thanked them for sparing their good time. The coordinator advised the participants to make use of the opportunity available especially because some members of the Parliament who are also Committee of Constitution amendment in the parliament are present in the forum.
Thereafter the workshop facilitator Mr Ibrahim Mohamed Omar took over the floor, introduced himself and asked the participant to introduce themselves. The facilitator then proceeded with the norms to be observed in the course of the session, which were written down.
SUB-OBJECTIVES OF THE FORUM
- To advocate for the political rights of women in order to secure voice and voice.
- To sustain the current Quotas in the parliament and advocate for beyond 30% representation in the parliament.
- Context of the constitution for women political participation
- Discuss women rights in both civic and political participation
- Challenges women face in political participation at National level
- Solutions and how to over to overcome barriers that bar women from political participation
- Benefits gained if women are given the opportunity in political participation