Somali Women Development Center
Vacancy for Somali staff
Job title: Paralegal (4 Persons)
Job type: Full time
Duty station: Mogadishu
Closing date: 22 April 2018
Somali Women Development Centre is a non-governmental and non-profit making organization that was established mid-2000. SWDC is working to improve the situation of women in Somalia. SWDC’s guiding vision is the belief that, with support, women can become empowered to make positive changes in their lives.
Somali Women Development Centre strives to minimize the number of women who are subjected to violence by empowering them through access to knowledge and greater economic independence.
Under the direct guidance and supervision of a project coordinator and team leader, Paralegals are required:
- Act intermediaries between traditional and formal legal system, link traditional elders and legal aid serves and refer legal cases from in formal to the formal justice system where appropriate.
- Inform the traditional authorities and parties to the conflict what the formal law would say on the issue which is the matter of the dispute.
- Serves as a community based agents for disseminating legal information and translation of abstract concepts of rights into context of their community/ daily lives, with emphases on raising awareness on traditional human right standards and domestic legislation.
- Provide basic advice on legal matters and refer individual cases to the SWDC lawyers and protection networks members where necessary.
- Act as mediators, intervening when requested to provide conflict resolution settle disputes through mediation and arbitration at IDPs camps and community level.
- Oversee the processing of incident report by local authorities including law enforcement, lawyers, the AG and judiciary.
- Building bridges between local authorities and civil society to minimize the potential for conflict and abuses
- Paralegals should cooperate with legal with legal aid service providers and legal profession to improve legal service for the poor.
- Paralegals should never engage in unauthorized legal practice by doing work reserved by law for legal profession.
- Identification of GBV cases in IDPs and Host community in Mogadishu and Baidabo
- The paralegals will complete relevant interview and reports form for all cases, they will comply with procedure for proper intake, record keeping, referrals and reporting developed together with the lawyers
- The Paralegals must undertake a minimum of 4 visits per week to IDPs camps in their respective locations.
Qualifications and Experience
- Secondary school leaving certificate, a diploma or degree from a university in law will be an additional asset
- A minimum of 3 years of professional experience in a relevant field of work ( Case management, paralegal knowledge, basic Somali Laws)
- A previous work experience with an international organisation would be valued
- Excellent level of written Somali is a requirement;
- Must be able to express ideas and concepts clearly and concisely in written and oral form;
- Excellent knowledge and experience of Office Suite Package (mainly word, excel and powerpoint);
- Is used to work on a multitude of activities at the same time and with limited supervision;
- Ability to work under stress and willingness to work long irregular hours and still deal helpfully and courteously with all contacts;
How to apply:
Please send CVs through to firstname.lastname@example.org, Please note that only Short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.